If I were to sit down and make a list of the things I love about New Orleans, my Saints would sit very near the top. The magic of game day (or night) in the Dome is something that everyone, even the non-Saints fan, should experience at some point.
We were season ticket holders way back when the kids were little and wins were scarce. Back in those days, you needed tickets if you wanted to see the games because sellouts were rare and the home games were often blacked out. It was a different time, for sure. We loved those games, but as our weekends became busier with kids’ activities, we reluctantly gave up our tickets. These days, we don’t make it to that many games, but we (ok, maybe I) cheer in the “man room” as loudly as if we were standing amidst the 70,000 in the Dome. I love being part of the Who Dat Nation, and here are ten of my favorite things about being a Saints fan.
10. Every game looks like Halloween with Whistle Head Guy, Black and Gold Elvis, Fleur-de-licious, and a host of other crazy characters.
9. Hot dogs, nachos, pizza…sure, we’ve got those, but we’ve got jambalaya too!
8. Our owner carries a fancy umbrella indoors…and it is completely unrelated to the weather.
7. We burn “I Believe” prayer candles to give our team a little edge. Don’t make us mad, though, or you may find a voodoo doll with your face on it.
6. We support our coach, in good times and in bad. Free Payton!
5. We proudly sport all of our Saints gear on game day, even if we’re only watching from our living rooms. (I wore my Jimmy Graham shirt to the grocery store today…ran into Drew Brees, Darren Sproles, and Marcus Colston.)
4. We’re very accustomed to tourists and we respect the visiting fans. We’ll even tell them the best places to eat and where to hang out in the city.
3. When we adopt a song as our anthem, we adopt a song as our anthem! That Black and Gold song just never gets old. 🙂
2. Two words…Drew Brees. What a great addition to New Orleans…the team and the city!
1. Lombardi Gras…the parade that eclipsed even the best Mardi Gras parades. I only hope I get to be a part of the next one. And I hope you’ll throw me something, Drew!